TABLECLOTH STAINER STEW
- 4 ancho peppers+ 4 passila peppers (all dried)
- OR 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2-3 lbs broiler chicken, cut into 8 pieces (cut breast pieces in half crossways)
- 1/2 lb lean pork, cubed 1″
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 0z can tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium jicama, cubed
- 1 ripe plantain, or two bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tart apple, peeled and cored and sliced
- 1 firm pear, peeled and cored and sliced
- 8 oz pineapple, chunked and drained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley
If using dried peppers instead of the chili powder, cut them open and discard stems and seeds. Cut pepper into small pieces with scissors or a knife. Place in a bowl and pour boiling water over the peppers. Let sit for 45-60 minutes. Reserve 1/3 c water, drain the rest.
Meanwhile, rinse and pat the chicken dry. Season with salt and pepper. Brown in hot oil for 10-15minutes until light brown. Brown pork in drippings. Drain and return chicken and pork to the dutch oven.
Process undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, pepper and drained peppers or chili powder, and the reserved water. If using the chili powder, add 1/3 c water, cover, and blend until smooth.
Stir tomato mix and chicken broth together into Dutch oven and with chicken and pork. Boil over high heat. Stir in Jicama and plantain (not the bananas). Simmer covered for 45 minutes. Stir in Apple and Pear and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in pineapple and bananas, heat through.
Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro to garnish.
NOTES : Use fresh pineapple if possible, and add it when you add the Jicama
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!