FRICASSEE OF CHICKEN WITH WINTER VEGETABLES
- 12 Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced leeks, white and pale parts only
- 2 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 3 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 3 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seed, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- For the Garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Grated lemon peel
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot over a medium heat. Add 1/2 of the chicken, brown on all sides for about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate, and repeat with the rest of the chicken. Discard drippings from the pot.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pot over a medium heat. Add leeks, parsnips, carrots and garlic. Saute until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add broth, wine, oregano, fennel seed, and red pepper. Bring to a simmer. Stirring to deglaze all the browned bits from the pot. Add chicken, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with lemon peel and parsley and serve.
NOTES : This is kind of a winter dish, but really yummy and not too heavy. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or just some crusty bread and a green salad. If you like sweet potatoes, try having a boiled one in the bowl with the fricassee.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!