GRILLED AHI and PONZU SAUCE with MAUI ONION SALAD
Serves : 4
- 4 X 7 oz Ahi Tuna or Salmon fillets
- For the Marinade
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For the Maui Onion Salad
- 1 large sliced carrot
- 1 small Maui onion
- 4 oz Japanese spice sprouts OR Sprouted sunflower tops
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber OR English hothouse cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 1/4 cup Pink pickled ginger
- 4 oz bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds for the garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon black sesame seeds for the garnish
- 1 juice from one lemon
- + Basic Ponzu Sauce (see recipe – ANITA- add link here)
Combine the marinade ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and marinate the fish for about one hour.
Prepare the vegetables any time in advance, up to the point of sauteing the bean sprouts.
About 30 minutes before serving, get the barbecue grill ready .
To prepare the Maui Onion Salad - Combine the carrot, onion, spice sprouts (I used sunflower tops once and radish sprouts another time), cucumber and pickled ginger in a mixing bowl. Heat the canola oil in a saute pan, and when hot, stir-fry the bean sprouts over high heat for 15 seconds. Transfer to the mixing bowl and toss with the other vegetables.
Remove the Fish from the marinade and grill over high heat for however you like it. About 45 seconds to 1 minute per side for the tuna, medium rare.
To serve, divide the salad between 4 serving plates. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and lemon juice over the top. Place the fish on top of the salad and spoon some of the Basic Ponzu Sauce over the fish. Pass the extra Ponzu Sauce with the dinner.
(I doubled this recipe and served 10 people)
Serving Suggestion : Serve with Jasmine Rice (ANITA – see recipe
Recipe By : Adapted from Roy’s Feasts from Hawaii
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!