ENDIVE & ARUGULA SALAD WITH PICKLED ONIONS & BLUE CHEESE
- 1 1/2 pounds red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces blue cheese, crumbled, 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds Belgian endive, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 12 bunches fresh arugula, torn into small pieces ( about 12 cups )
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon salt
Place onions in a large resealable plastic bag. Add vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Seal bag: shake until sugar dissolves. Chill onions in marinade at least 1 day and up to 3 days, turning often.
Place cheese in medium bowl. Pour oil over cheese let stand at room temperature 2 hours. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
Place endive in a very large bowl. Add lemon juice; toss. Add arugula, cheese-oil mixture and dried cranberries; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to platter; top with some drained pickled onions. Pass remaining onions in marinade.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
NOTES : This salad is spectacular. Even people who say they don’t like arugula, love this salad. Add the cheese oil to your taste. If serving at a buffet where the food is out for several hours, you might want to keep half the salad in another bowl in the fridge until you need it later. Remember to prepare the onions at least one day ahead.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!