Serving Size : 10
Preparation Time : 30 min Cook time : 30 minutes
- 2 lbs Asparagus, tips reserved, stalks cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only — thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth(stock)
- 2 cups water
- 1 large thyme sprig
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
Chive oil (recipe separate)
In a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the asparagus tips until crisp-tender, about 1 min. Drain the asparagus tips in a colander and refresh under cold water. Pat dry, halve the tips lengthwise and set aside.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan (pot). Add the leeks and cook over moderate heat, stirring until softened, about 5 min. Add the asparagus stalks, potatoes, stock, water and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 min.
Discard the thyme sprig. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender and then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the milk, salt and white pepper. Let the soup cool to room temp, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
Ladle the soup into chilled bowls and drizzle with Chive Oil. Garnish with the asparagus tips and serve.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
Suggested Wine: Sauvignon Blanc–1999 Caymus Vineyards or 1999 Silverado
NOTES : This creamy soup is the best the next day, after the flavors have gotten to know each other. Season generously before serving.
Recipe By : Bon Appetit
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!